- 3.8 L. Water
- 4 Tbsp. GFS Vegetable Base
- 59 ml. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 0.5 kg. Jumbo Spanish Onions, diced
- 0.2 kg. Markon Jumbo Celery, diced
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped Garlic
- 4 ct. Trade East Whole Bay Leaves Spice
- 1 kg. Farro
- 0.5 kg. GFS Sliced Unsalted Blanched Almonds, toasted
- 0.9 kg. Jumbo Asparagus
- 0.9 kg. Markon Jumbo Carrots
- 14 g. Markon Mint Leaves, trimmed and chopped
- 0.9 kg. Pepper Mill Fuji Apple Dressing
- 0.5 kg. Markon Conventional Spring Mix
1. Dissolve the vegetable base in 1 gal. of boiling water. Reduce to simmer.
2. In a heated rondeau, sauté onions, celery, garlic and bay leaves in heated oil until onions are translucent. Add farro and mix well. Add vegetable broth, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the farro is tender and the broth is absorbed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Spread farro mixture onto two 4” hotel pans, allow to cool uncovered. Cover, label, date and refrigerate for future service.
4. Trim the asparagus and carrots. Slice thinly on a mandoline. Cover, label, date and refrigerate for future service.
To prepare à la carte:
1. Crumble 227 g of farro into a stainless-steel mixing bowl. Add 14 g of almonds, 28 g asparagus, 14 g carrots, and ½ tsp. mint. Drizzle 29 mL of dressing over mixture and stir well with a rubber spatula.
2. Place 28 g of spring mix in the center of a chilled serving plate. Spoon farro mixture on top of the spring mix.