Birria "Red" Tacos
Prep Time6 minutes. Makes 1 Taco.
- 1 un. Yellow Corn Tortilla, 6”
- 56 g. Recipe Birria Braised Beef
- 2.27 kg. Markon RSS Tomatoes Random
- 454 g. Spanish Onion #2
- 85 g. Canola/Olive Oil Blend
- to taste Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Trade East Black Pepper
- 198 g. Gordon Choice Clover Honey
- 113 g. Roasted Garlic Puree
- 113 g. Gordon Choice Red Wine Vinegar
- 43 g. Light Brown Sugar
- 2¾ tsp. Trade East Cumin Ground
- 2 tsp. Trade East Oregano Leaf
- 1½ tsp. Trade East Cinnamon Ground
- 1½ tsp. Trade East Coriander Ground
- 21 g. Kosher Salt
- 10 un. Osso Bucco, 567 g. each
- 142 g. Gordon Signature Beef Base
- 170 g. Tap Water
- 454 g. Guajillo Paste
- 7.57 L Tap Water
- Preheat a convection oven to 204°C on high fan.
- Remove the core of each tomato.
- Cut the onions in half, removing the peels and the core.
- Toss the tomatoes in a stainless bowl with 21 g. of oil blend and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Toss the onion halves in a stainless bowl with 7 g. of oil blend and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Roast the tomatoes and onions, cut side up, on sheet trays lined with parchment, for 30 minutes, flipping each piece over halfway through.
- Cool and ensure there is a total yield of 680 g. of roasted tomatoes and 227 g. of roasted onions total for this recipe.
- Preheat a convection oven to 218°C on high fan.
- Whisk the beef base, water and guajillo paste in a stainless steel bowl and reserve.
- Toss osso bucco with 56 g. of oil and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Roast the osso bucco on roasting racks nested inside sheet trays for 15 minutes and flip over.
- Brush the tops with half of the basting glaze and roast for another 5 minutes. Flip and repeat for 5 more minutes totalling a 25 minute roast time.
- Reserve for step #3.
- Preheat a convection oven to 164°C on high fan.
- Purée the onions and tomatoes in a blender. Add the red wine vinegar, roasted garlic, honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, oregano, coriander, cumin and salt and purée again until smooth.
- Transfer the purée to a large pot, followed by the remaining 397 g. of guajillo paste and 7.57 L of water.
- Whisk together until fully combined and bring to a boil.
- Pour the chili broth over the osso bucco cuts in a 15 cm. deep full-size hotel pan. Cover with parchment and foil.
- Roast in the convection oven for 4 hours at 164°C on high fan.
- Shred the beef into a stainless steel bowl discarding the bones.
- Reserve the broth and beef in containers for recipe needs under refrigeration.
- Separate the congealed red fat cap from the broth and keep on hand for the “red taco” process.
- 113 g. Birria Braising Liquid Broth
- 14 g. Markon RSS Chunky Avocado
- 2 tsp. Markon RSS ¼” Diced Onion
- 1 tsp. Markon RSS Cilantro
- 14 g. Radish Matchsticks
Recipe Birria Braised Beef
Step #1: Roast the tomatoes and onions
Step #2: Roast the osso bucco cuts
Step #3: Make the braise
- Preheat the flat top to high heat.
- Set your hot line up with the braised beef, broth, and red fat from the braise in separate steam table pans.
TO PREPARE À LA CARTE:
- Dip the tortilla in the hot fat to evenly coat the tortilla, and place on a well-seasoned flat-top.
- Crisp up the tortilla on the flat top (1-2 minutes), and then flip and repeat. Once crisped, place it in a taco holder so it retains its shape.
- Fill the taco with 56 g. of shredded beef birria, 14 g. Avocado and 2 tsp. of diced onions.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and matchstick radishes
- Serve in a taco holder with a 113 g. container of the birria broth for dunking.
Note: Cuts like chuck short ribs or whole chuck rolls have much more intermuscular fat in them, thus making a nice fat cap on top of the braising liquid. This is great for making birria red tacos. These lack the depth of flavour in your broth that comes from using osso bucco.