Caribbean Roasted Pork & Caramelized Onions
Prep Time30 minutes. Makes 8-10 servings.
- 1 Tbsp. Trade East Dried Oregano
- ½ tsp. Ground Bay Leaves
- ½ c. Markon Fresh Garlic Cloves, peeled
- 1 tsp. Trade East Ground Cumin
- 113 g. Water
- 2 c. Orange juice
- ½ ct. Fresh Lime, juiced
- ½ c. Water
- 3.18 kg. Pork Butt
- 3 ct. Markon Large Yellow Onions, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Kosher Salt
- Create a marinade by combining the oregano, bay leaves, garlic, cumin, water, orange juice, water, lime juice and salt in a blender or food processor. Blend until the herbs and garlic are finely chopped.
- Pour the marinade over the pork butt and spread the mixture all over the outside of the roast on all sides. Refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
- Roast at 135°C (275°F) on convection for 3½ hours.
- Raise the oven temperature to 204°C (400°F) and cook for 10 minutes or until the pork is crispy on the outside.
- Remove the pork from the oven and rest on the counter for about 20-30 minutes before carving.
- Strain the pan drippings and skim the fat separately, reserve.
- Add 3 Tbsp. of pork fat and onions to a large skillet and caramelize until brown on all sides.
- Add reserved drippings to the onions and mix well.
- Pour over the roasted pork and serve.