Certified Angus Beef Short Ribs and Garden Gems
Prep Time40 minutes. Makes 8 servings.
- 10 lb. Certified Angus Beef Short Ribs
- 6 oz. Markon French Shallots
- 3 oz. Cabernet Sauvignon
- 36 oz. Gordon Choice RTU Demi-Glace
- 2 oz. Gordon Choice 35% Heavy Cream
- 1 oz. Gordon Choice Salted Butter
- 2 oz. Gordon Choice Butter-Flavoured Oil
- 1 lb. Mirepoix (carrot, celery, onion)
- 2 tsp. Thyme
- 2 tsp. Oregano
- 3 ct. Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp. Mashed Confit Garlic
- ½ c. Dijon Mustard
- 2 oz. (Recipe) Bordeaux Sauce
- 27 oz. Braised Cooking Juices
- ½ oz. Gordon Choice Butter-Flavoured Oil
- 1 oz. French Shallots
- 3 oz. Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 oz. Gordon Choice 35% Heavy Cream
- Remove the cooked short ribs from the rondeau to rest.
- Place the cooking sauce from rondeau in a separate container.
- Heat the oil in a rondeau over high and add the chopped shallots.
- Brown the shallots, add the wine and reduce by half.
- Add the cream and simmer a few minutes to thicken. Set aside for service.
- 6 oz. (Recipe) Herb Butter Pasta
- 3 oz. Gordon Choice Salted Butter
- 2 tsp. Fresh Basil, chopped
- 2 tsp. Fresh Oregano, chopped
- 4 tsp. Fresh Parsley, chopped, washed and wrung out
- to taste Gordon Choice Butter-Flavoured Oil
- 46 oz. Tagliatelle pasta, prepared
- Melt the butter with the herbs over low heat in a large rondeau.
- Add the buttery oil and the hot pasta, then stir until the butter and herbs are dispersed evenly in the pasta.
- 5 oz. (Recipe) Garden Gems Garnish
- 9 oz. Brunoise Carrots
- 9 oz. Brunoise Parsnips
- 9 oz. Markon Asparagus
- 24 ct. Mushrooms, small
- 9 oz. Markon Broccoli Florets
- 1 oz. Gordon Choice Butter-Flavoured Oil
- Peel the carrots, parsnips and asparagus and dice.
- Turn the mushrooms.
- Sort the broccoli florets.
- Blanch the vegetables and sauté the mushrooms in the butter oil.
- Reserve for assembly.
(Recipe) Bordeaux Sauce
(Recipe) Herb Butter Pasta
(Recipe) Garden Gems Garnish
- Sear the ribs in the butter-flavoured oil using a large rondeau, browning each side. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Sweat the mirepoix in the cooking fat. Add the herbs, deglaze with the red wine and reduce. Put aside.
- Return the ribs to the rondeau and brush with mustard and candied garlic. Add the mirepoix and wet halfway with the demi glace and liquid.
- Heat to a boil, cover and place the rondeau in a 350°F oven for three hours. Halfway through cooking, flip the ribs over in the sauce, cover, and continue cooking.
- When finished, the meat should come off the bone easily without falling off.
- Mound the Herb Butter Pasta on a plate.
- Place a rib in the centre of the pasta with the bone pointing to the sky.
- Spread the Garden Gems Garnish on the pasta and all around the rib to enhance it.
- Ladle 2 oz. of the Bordeaux Sauce on the rib and a add
- a sprig of fresh thyme for service.
NOTE: The ready-to-use demi glace should be prepared with 1½ the amount of water recommended by the manufacturer for braising the ribs.