Orange Caramel Waffles
Prep Time10 minutes. Makes 2 portions.
- 4 ct. Gordon Choice Belgian Waffle
- 2 c. Gordon Choice Orange Juice
- 4 ct. Citrus Chips
- 1 c. White Sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Gordon Choice unsalted butter
- 4 pieces Various Melons, sliced
- 1 tsp. Gordon Choice Cranberry Crystals
- In a small sauce pot, add orange juice and reduce by half.
- Add sugar and reduce until it begins to bubble.
- Turn the heat to low and continue to stir until the sugar begins to brown.
- Once the liquid turns light brown, slowly add the butter several pieces at a time.
- Place racks in the top and bottom thirds of the oven; preheat to 200°F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with foil; mist with cooking spray.
- Using a serrated knife or a mandoline, slice citrus very thinly.
- Place the citrus on the pans, 3 inches apart; sprinkle with superfine sugar.
- Bake, periodically rotating the baking sheets, until the slices are dry, 2 to 2½ hours.
- Watch closely during the last hour to be sure the slices don’t burn.
- Bake the waffles according to package directions.
- Cut diagonally into triangles and stack vertically.
- Spoon orange caramel around waffles.
- Place melons and citrus chips between the waffles.
- Garnish with powdered sugar and cranberry crystals.