Red Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 36 ct. Markon Medium Peppers, sliced lengthwise and trimmed
- 4 kg. (Recipe) Red Quinoa with Egg and Vegetables
- 3/4 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 kg. Vidalia Onion, small dice
- 1/2 kg. Markon Jumbo Celery, small dice
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped Garlic
- 1 L. GFS Red Quinoa
- 2 ct. Trade East Bay Leaves
- 16 ct. GFS Large Eggs
- 1/2 kg. Markon Medium Zucchini, small dice
- 1/2 kg. Markon Yellow Squash, small dice
- 1/2 kg. Eggplant
- 1/2 kg. Markon Cauliflower Crumbles
- 227 g. (Recipe) Parmesan-Lemon Breadcrumbs
- 1 kg. GFS Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 kg. Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 c. GFS Canola Oil
- 2 ct. Lemon, zested (yields 2 Tbsp, finely chopped)
- 1/2 c. Trade East Parsley Flakes
(Recipe) Red Quinoa with Egg and Vegetables
1. Place 30 mL of olive oil in a heated rondeau. Add the onions, celery and garlic. Sauté until vegetables are tender. Add 2 L of water, quinoa and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer. Cook until tender, stirring frequently. Add a small amount of water to adjust consistency, if necessary, or if the quinoa is not cooked and unfurled. Remove bay leaves.
2. Break the eggs into a stainless-steel mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk until blended. Place 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a heated, nonstick sauté pan. Add the eggs. Stir with a heat-resistant rubber spatula. Chop into small, bite-sized pieces.
3. As needed, add oil to a heated, nonstick pan. Sauté the zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant and cauliflower. Season to taste with salt and pepper. While still hot, add the vegetables and eggs to the quinoa. Mix until well blended.
4. Place the quinoa mixture in full 2” stainless-steel hotel pans. Refrigerate. Let cool uncovered. Stir occasionally. Cover, label, date and refrigerate for future service.
(Recipe) Parmesan-Lemon Breadcrumbs
Combine all ingredients in stainless-steel mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover, label, date and refrigerate for future service.
1. Place 1/4“ of water in the bottom of 3 2” stainless-steel hotel pans. Divide the peppers between the pans. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover tightly with foil. Place in a heated 176°C [350°F] oven and cook up to 30 minutes or until tender, but still firm to the bite. Remove foil. Pour off excess water. Let cool uncovered in refrigerator.
2] Scoop 113 g of chilled red quinoa mix into each chilled green pepper half. Each pepper should weigh 170 g when finished. Spread containers out on parchment-lined sheet pans. Place 4 peppers in each container. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of breadcrumbs and ¼ tsp of dried parsley over the top of the quinoa before covering. Refrigerate until needed. Store in a single layer.
Microwave: Remove lid. Cook on regular cycle until warmed through.
Oven: Remove lid. Place container on a metal sheet pan. Bake in in a heated 148°C [300°F] oven for 30 minutes, or until warmed through.