Shaved Beet and Fennel Salad
YieldMakes 1 283-g portion.
- 340 g GFS Red Beets
- 113 g Gold Beets
- 7 g Markon Fennel Anise
- 1 un GFS Ruby Red Florida Grapefruit Sections
- 14 g GFS Feta Cheese Crumbles
- 28 g Recipe: Pickled Red Onion
- 1 kg Markon Jumbo Red Onion, sliced
- 473 ml GFS Red Wine Vinegar
- 946 ml Tap Water
- ¼ c GFS Granulated Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Coarse Kosher Salt
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- to taste Coarse Kosher Salt
- to taste Trade East Ground Black Pepper
Recipe: Pickled Red Onion
1. Peel, trim and cut onions in half. Slice onions to roughly .16 cm thick and ensure they are not sticking together to increase their surface area.
2. Combine water, vinegar, sugar and salt in a sauce pot. Whisk until the sugar and salt are dissolved and bring to a boil.
3. Add the onions to the boiling pickling liquid and stir to coat and distribute equally.
4. Bring the pot to a simmer and then remove from the heat.
5. Pour the pickled onions storage container, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Drain before use.
1. Place the beets in a colander wash off any excess dirt. Allow to drain and dry with a paper towel.
2. Wrap each beet individually, first in a piece of parchment and then in foil.
3. Roast in a preheated 177°C convection oven for 40-50 minutes or until just cooked through and tender. Allow beets to cool. Peel and discard skin.
4. Thinly slice the beets on a mandoline. Keep slices in consecutive order.
5. Place in a covered storage container in a single layer and refrigerate until needed.
6. Trim the fennel, removing the outer bulb layer and tops. Keep the fronds for garnish.
7. Using a mandoline, shave the fennel in 1/16” slices and reserve in ice water under refrigeration to keep it crunchy.
8. Carefully peel the grapefruit leaving the flesh whole. Slice horizontally into rounds approximately an ⅓ cm thick and reserve.
9. To plate, shingle the beets and grapefruit rondelles in a circle of alternating colours.
10. Garnish the tops of the salad with shaved fennel, pickled red onion and feta crumbles.
11. Make dots of the balsamic glaze surrounding the salad and spoon olive oil over the Ingredients.
12. Finish with salt and pepper.
NUTRITIONAL INFO (per serving)
Fat: 9 g
Sodium: 543 mg
Carbohydrates: 78 g
Protein: 12 g