Shrimp With Red Quinoa Crust
YieldMakes 24 355-ml. servings.
- 2.7 kg. Sweet Potato
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- to taste Kosher Salt
- to taste Trade East Ground Black Pepper
- 120 ct. GFS Raw P&D Tail-On Shrimp
- 24 ct. Gordon Choice Large Grade A Shell Eggs
- 1.36 kg. GFS All Purpose Flour
- 1.7 kg. Recipe: Red Quinoa, chilled
- 30 ml. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 454 g. Vidalia Onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped Garlic
- 1.9 L. No MSG Chicken Broth
- 946 ml. Gordon Choice Prewashed Red Quinoa
- 2 ct. Trade East® Whole Bay Leaves
- 680 g. Recipe: Sweet Potato Hot Sauce
- 4.5 kg. Sweet Potatoes
- 57 g. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1.4 kg. Markon Spanish Onion Diced
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Chopped
- 1.9 L. Harvest Valley 100% Apple Juice
- 946 ml. Harvest Valley Vegetable Juice
- 946 ml. Water
- 710 ml. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp. Trade East Red Cayenne Pepper Ground
- 1 tsp. Trade East White Pepper Ground
- 510 g. Green Onions
Recipe: Red Quinoa, chilled
1. Place the olive oil in heated rondeau. Add the onions and garlic. Sauté until tender. Add the chicken stock, quinoa and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer. Cook until tender. Stir frequently.
2. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place in a full stainless steel hotel pan to cool, uncovered. Stir frequently. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
Recipe: Sweet Potato Hot Sauce
1. Peel the potatoes. Place them in a pot of boiling saltwater. Simmer until soft and tender. Drain.
2. Place the olive oil in a heated sauté pan. Add the onions and garlic. Sauté until translucent.
3. Combine the apple juice, vegetable juice, water, vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper and white pepper in a stainless steel bain-marie or mixing bowl. Whisk together thoroughly.
4. In batches, purée the sweet potatoes and onions using the liquid mixture until completely smooth. Transfer to a stainless steel mixing bowl. Whisk together thoroughly. Season to taste.
5. Transfer to a covered nonreactive storage container and refrigerate until needed.
1. Peel the sweet potatoes. Slice ¼” thick widthwise about 44 ml. each. Place in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Drizzle olive oil over the sweet potatoes. Season salt and pepper. Toss together. Place side-by-side on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Place in heated 177°C (350°F) convection oven. Cook 10-12 minutes or until tender. Allow to cool, uncovered. Place in a storage container. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
2. Butterfly the shrimp. Break the eggs into a stainless steel mixing bowl. Add a small amount of water. Mix thoroughly using a wire whisk. Place the flour, eggs and quinoa in separate 4” full stainless steel hotel pans. Place the shrimp in the flour to coat, and shake off excess. Place in the eggs and allow to drain. Place in the quinoa and shake off any excess. Transfer to a storage container in a single layer. Cover, label, date and refrigerate until needed.
To prepare à la carte:
1. Place 5 sweet potato rounds on an oiled baking pan. Place in a 177°C (350°F) convection oven. Cook for 2 minutes or until just warmed through.
2. Place 5 shrimp in a heated 177°C (350°F) deep-fryer. Cook up to 3 minutes or until golden-brown and just cooked through. Allow to drain.
3. Drizzle 30 ml. of sweet potato hot sauce back and forth on a warmed serving plate. Place the sweet potatoes in a circular pattern on top of the sauce. Place shrimp on top of each sweet potato. Sprinkle 8-10 scallion slices on top of the shrimp.