Minimize Environmental Impact
Our primary areas of focus are maintaining sustainable operations and offering sustainable products. Gordon Food Service will advance these goals with the following strategies:
Maintain Sustainable Operations
- Our facility designs incorporate LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) principles resulting in environmentally friendly, energy-efficient facilities. In addition, we comply with regulatory directives related to green space legislation and facility emissions.
- Focused energy management is a key strategic initiative for Gordon Food Service. We are committed to designing and operating facilities that maximize energy performance while conserving consumption. We assess opportunities provided by renewable energy resources, and utilize energy-efficient HVAC and refrigeration systems that minimize direct impact to ozone depletion and global warming.
- Efficient water management conserves natural resources while ensuring its sustainability. Currently, several of our distribution centers utilize retention ponds to capture site run-off. Where practical, we evaluate the use of this water for irrigation purposes. We also utilize chemical-free treatment processes for water used in our cooling applications.
- Fleet compliance practices assure that our Gordon Food Service tractors and trailers comply with provincial emissions standards. All of our equipment is regularly maintained to minimize the impact of our equipment on overall air quality.
- Disciplined routing and load-building practices maximize the utilization of our equipment, reducing total miles driven and fuel consumption. We utilize technology to monitor daily equipment performance and routing opportunities.
- Inbound freight management drives efficiencies within our supply network. We are focused on sourcing products close to our distribution centers. We aggressively pursue backhaul opportunities to limit overall supply chain miles and their associated carbon footprint.
- Alternative fuel options are regularly reviewed. We work closely with our equipment suppliers to develop specifications that reduce fuel consumption. When an alternative fuel source is identified that provides substantiated energy savings and reduces environmental impact, Gordon Food Service will be in a position to execute accordingly.
- Post-consumer waste reduction is a key element in minimizing environment impact. We are committed to increasing our use of recycled-content material and increasing plastic and paper recycling. We are also reducing paper use by means of electronic data transfer and online document storage.
Offer Sustainable Products
- Environmentally friendly product choices support our goal of sustaining our resources and creating a healthier environment. We offer a wide range of products to meet the evolving needs of our diverse customer base. We minimize environmental impact by focusing on the way these products are manufactured, the raw materials they utilize, or the way they can be disposed of or recycled.
- Good For You™ provides innovative ideas that bring healthy, 'environmentally friendly', and sustainable products and services to our customers and communities. For more information, please visit www.inspection.gc.ca
- Best at Fresh™ is our ongoing promise to provide our customers with the fresh products they need, and always at the height of flavour and quality.
- It's custom hand cut steaks carefully portion controlled to meet your unique requirements.
- It's fresh seafood carefully chosen from the four corners of the globe, from northern British Columbia to the Great Barrier Reef.
- It's fresh produce from local farmers and every other growing region in North America.
- Organic and natural products represent a growing percentage of our new product offering. Gordon Food Service follows or exceeds standards for organic or natural products as determined by the CFIA. We will continue to expand our organic and natural offerings to meet the dynamic needs of our customers.
- Sustainable sources of supply are paramount to environmental preservation. Gordon Food Service is proud to partner with manufacturers and producers that demonstrate strong sustainable practices which minimize the depletion of natural resources. We support local sources of supply when product availability, food safety, and quality are not compromised.
- The distribution of safe product is a principal objective. We are committed to provide high-quality products that meet regulatory specifications and customer expectations. Standard and consistent operating procedures, GFS brand specification processes (including third-party audit requirements), highly responsive product recall procedures, and a closed-loop customer feedback system are examples of our commitment to product quality.
Gordon Food Service Annual Stewardship Report
Being a responsible steward is a top priority for Gordon Food Service, from the way we impact the planet we live on, to the people we employ, and the communities we live and work in. Gordon Food Service is committed to improvement and responsible growth, and we are excited to share our 2015 accomplishments, and areas we will continue to focus on.