Wash hands. Wash all fresh, unpackaged produce under running water. Drain well.
1] Remove zest from limes using a microplane.
2] Juice the limes through a strainer. Place 118 mL of lime juice and 2 Tbsp. of zest in a stainless-steel mixing bowl.
3] Add olive oil and heavy cream to the juice mixture and whisk thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. 4] Transfer to a nonreactive storage container. Cover, label, date, and refrigerate for future service. CCP: Refrigerate at 5°C, or below.
1. Remove the dark layer of skin from the watermelon with a vegetable peeler and discard. Slice in half. Slice the halves into quarters. Remove the watermelon from the rind and save for pickling. Slice into 1.27 cm.-thick triangles widthwise. Stack in a storage container. Cover, label, date and refrigerate for future service.
2. Scrape any excess watermelon off of the rind with a spoon. Slice into 1.27 cm.-wide strips. Slice the strips into small squares. Place in a pot of boiling water. Cook up to 10 minutes or just until tender. Pour in a colander. Allow to drain. Spread out on a parchment-lined sheet pan to cool. Place in a stainless-steel bain-marie.
3. Place the water, rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a nonreactive sauce pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer 4–5 minutes. Immediately pour the hot brine over the top of the rind. Cover completely. You will need 675 ml. of brine per pound of rind.
1. Brush 240 g. of watermelon on both sides with olive oil. Place on a heated char-grill. Grill on both sides until just warmed through.
2. Ladle 30 ml. of savoury lime vinaigrette onto the centre of a serving plate. Place the melon on the plate. Sprinkle 15 g. of feta and 30 g. of rind over the top of the melon. Place a basil sprig on the plate next to the melon.