1. Julienne the turnips, carrots, rutabagas, sweet potatoes and apples into thin strips and place them in a stainless-steel mixing bowl. Drizzle the dressing over the top of the vegetable mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss together until blended. Cover and refrigerate. Allow to rest for 60 minutes to tenderize the vegetables.
2. Place in a nonreactive storage container, cover, label, date and refrigerate until needed.
1. Place all ingredients in a stainless-steel mixing bowl. Whisk together thoroughly.
2. Transfer to a nonreactive storage container, cover, label, date and refrigerate until needed.
1. Separate the thin slices of beef into individual pieces. Scale out into 140-g portions.
2. Heat the au jus and 3 Tbsp of paprika to 71°C (160ºF). Whisk until blended. Hold at 48°C (120ºF). Dunk the beef in the gravy for 15-30 seconds. Don’t leave the beef in the gravy too long to avoid curling and drying out the natural moisture. Repeat the dunking process to flavour and fortify the gravy.
To prepare à la carte:
1. Open the bun, leaving it attached and hinged at the bottom. Spray the inside of the bun with the cooking spray. Place the bun, oiled-side down on a heated flat griddle. Grill until golden-brown.
2. Place 1 tsp of oil in a small heated, nonstick sauté pan. Break an egg into the pan. Cook the egg, sunny-side up, to desired doneness. Place 2 tsp of canola oil in a second heated sauté pan. Add 57 g of red bell peppers to the pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss over medium heat until caramelized and just warmed through.
3. Place 227 g of beef in the gravy just long enough to warm and make it wet, about 15-30 seconds. Immediately remove the beef from the gravy. Stack down the centre of the bun. Ladle 48 ml of gravy over the top of the warmed beef.
4. Spread 57 g of root vegetable slaw down the centre of the beef. Place the warm red peppers on top of the slaw. Drizzle 1 Tbsp of Worcestershire grain mustard mayonnaise on top of the peppers. Place the egg on top of the peppers in the centre of the sandwich. Sprinkle the paprika on top of the egg to taste. Place on a warmed serving plate.